Wednesday 18 March 2020

Bean & Potato Bake


Bean & Potato Bake

I copied this from the latest Slimming World magazine...I hope they don't mind!  It was so nice, I just had to share it. There are lots of other good recipes in there this month....go buy a copy....great magazine.

1lb/454g Potatoes
2 Carrots
2 Sticks of celery
1 Red pepper
2 tsp. Freshly chopped rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
215g can of red kidney beans
420g can of baked beans
3tbsp. Freshly chopped parsley
6oz/170g reduced fat cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas 6.
Chop the potatoes, celery, carrots and pepper into bite size pieces. Put into a shallow ovenproof dish with rosemary, season to taste and 3 tbsp. of water. Cover with water and bake for 1 hour until the veg is tender.
Stir in the kidney beans, baked beans and parsley. Grate the cheese and put evenly over the top. Return to the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.

Serves 4.

SW sins:
Green day 6 or use 42g of reduced fat cheese per person as a ‘b’ choice.
Red day 17. Reduce by 6 if using cheese as a ‘b’ choice.

I made this last night and it was SO nice! It is so versatile too. I used 1 normal potato and 1 sweet potato. No carrots in the house, so 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, instead. It would also be great with parsnips. I also changed the red kidney beans for a large can of Cannellini beans, because I am trying to eat lots of speed foods this week and because I like them!
There is a small error in the recipe. It says: add 3 tbsp water, then cover with water. It confused me a bit, so I checked in the SW magazine, and it should read: add 3 tbsp water, then cover with foil.
 I tried out the recipe tonight, but mixed potato and sweet potato like Jane suggested. I also added a parsnip, and used mixed pulses instead of kidney or cannellini beans. It was delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment